Your dog will not come back inside. The more of a rush you’re in the more of a catch-me-if-you-can bozo he is. This dog behavior upsets you. Your stress is completely obvious to your dog; making it even less likely he’ll come through the door.
How does this happen? There are many ways; the most common is cause-and-effect. The dog comes back inside in the morning and that causes you to leave. Or that’s the math he does in his canine mind. Simple solution: Don’t come back inside.
No matter how it started, let’s just fix it. This is a fix that works for most people and dogs, most of the time. (Oh, and you can play it now to prevent this from ever being a problem, too.)
- A leash.
- A brandy new-to-your-dog squeaky toy (if your dog likes squeaky toys and most dogs do).
Here’s what you do:
- Put your dog on leash.
- Let him outside (hold on to the leash!)
- Close the door
- Open the door.
- Say your dog’s Name
- THEN squeak the toy like crazy!
- When your dog rockets to you (and most will) – toss the toy inside your home.
- As your dog rushes past you, close the door so he can’t rush back out.
- Praise wildly and play with him for 20-30 seconds.
- Then retrieve the toy and stop playing. In every way become totally boring.
- Wait a 10-20 seconds or so and let him back out as you did before.
- After doing this a couple of times end the session. Put the toy away, out of sight. The ONLY time he gets it is when he comes in from the outside.
- KEY: Squeak after you say his name. Not before and not at the same time. Just after.
- When you and your dog get good at this, you can move up to a 10 foot longline. When that is going well, try off leash.
- Have fun with your dog! Your joy and this game will be irresistible to him.
- Oh, and during the training time, remove all other squeaky toys from his reach. The only one he gets, for now, is for coming inside.
Here is a favorite squeaky toy for such games: The Bad Cuz. Why? Just becuz…sorry, love a pun. Anyway – it bounces but doesn’t roll too far, has a sturdy squeak and most dogs seem to like it.
- Hard natural rubber ball with feet
- Tough squeaker
- Formidable bounce
- Available in a variety of colors
All Good and Bad Cuz Toys if you want to see some options.
Give it a try then let me know how things are going!